Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Halpern Fall 2017






Occasionally, I  rummage through spam emails. Maybe I'm bored, or worse, procrastinating, but today I was searching for a muse. Fortunately Browns Fashion always send out the most beautifully curated newsletters and it's through one such email I was introduced to the marvelous and mad world of Michael Halpern. Born in New-York but now based in London, Fall 2017 is the first solo runway outing for the designer. Presented in a bare store space, the clothes were anything bland, taking inspiration from the hardcore glamor typical of the 70s which became synonymous with names like Cher and Bob Mackie. Browns isn't the only e-retailer to jump on the glittery bandwagon, with the likes of Bergdorf Goodman and Matchesfashion.com following suit.With any emerging designer, it's hard to know what to expect in coming seasons however, what is clear is a certain penchant for sequins which even embellished socks, worn with platform heels. 






In a nutshell, Halpern's first solo collection was an explosion of colour in shades of emerald, gold, silver and blue. The counterpoints of the heavily embellished high neck tops, catsuits and bell bottom pants were decadent floor length fur stoles and structured bustier and bolero in satin. The boots, and as I mentioned before socks were another opportunity seized to show off some more sequin spangled accessories. My style philosophy has always been a 'more is more' approach but Michael Halpern has taken it to the next level. It's one thing to present a sequinned catsuit, but another to create and add another layer to it. The colour combinations, although somewhat opposed work together so well. It's been a while since I've been able to say to myself, this collection has changed the way I look at fashion (and I am all the richer for it!)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment